It’s that time of year – Prom and Graduation Season!
We want to help you keep your teen safe,
and make this season one to celebrate for you and your family.
Encourage your teen to follow these general safe-driving rules:
- Absolutely no alcohol
- Always use seat belts
- No cell phone use (including texting) while driving
Other ideas for Prom and Graduation Night:
Know the evening’s itinerary, as well as who will be with your teen.
- Have a way to contact your teen at all times.
- You may want to require them to check in with you once or twice during the evening.
Set a curfew whether they are coming back to your home or staying at a friend’s house.
- If they are staying elsewhere, make sure the curfew will be enforced by a responsible adult.
- Discuss with your teen how to handle difficult situations, such as facing pressure to drink, or accepting a ride with someone who shouldn’t be driving.
Offer a “no-questions-asked” ride home, should they need one during the evening.
Consider alternative transportation.
- A car service or limousine will provide a responsible, experienced adult driver.
- You also will be able to limit changes to the itinerary and contact the driver.
Wishing the Class of 2014 a happy and safe graduation!